Re: MOT Help

Original poster: "Matt Shayka by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <lightningcreator-at-hotmail-dot-com>

Hi Pat,

Mots are great for Jacobs Ladders. Their voltage is too low for a TC, but
the current is high enough to pull big arcs from them. [warning: MOTS are
DEADLY. your first mistake with them will most likly be your last] Yes, they
do pull as much as 15A from the mains, but there are ways to ballast it so
it won't trip the breaker. The easiest way is to find a second MOT, short
out its seconday, and connect the primary in series with your other MOT.
This will allow you to pull 2-3" beefy arcs from it.

I am making a jacobs ladder right now for a local shop owner that gave me
magnet wire. It will have a 555 timer controling the MOT, so it is not on
all the time. It will run 5-10 ON and then 30-45 OFF. This way the rods of
the JL won't overheat. I am going to use a modifed trigger gap to start the
arc.

The schematic that you posted the link to shows there is both a resister and
diode built in.

Matt Shayka