RE: MOT Help

Original poster: "Loudner, Godfrey by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <gloudner-at-SINTE.EDU>

>From the picture, the diode and resistor are inside the cap. One terminal of
the cap is to receive high voltage from the transformer. The other terminal
of the cap is negative and connected to the cathode of the magnetron. The
positive end of the diode in the cap is connected to the metal case of the
cap. With the cap screwed to the chassis and the anode of the magnetron
grounded to the chassis, the anode can acquire a positive charge. The
statement your read probably means that the transformer will produce a
current of 500 mA with the load of a magnetron. With the load of a
short-circuit, the transformer will certainly produce more current than 500
mA. It is extremely difficult to fire a Jacob's ladder with a MOT. If you
are inexperienced with high voltage fun, it is dangerous to just play around
with the MOT. When I was around 14, I played with big x-ray transformers
filled with PCBs. Sometimes I wonder how I got through all that without
getting electrocuted.

Godfrey Loudner