Re: Help Need part by 31Oct01

Hi Matt,

For a Tesla coil, and especially in a situation where a blown fuse taking days
to replace is painful, consider a nice resettable circuit breaker instead.  If
it blows you simply reset it and go on.  Fuses are nice in stable situations
were they should never blow.  However, Tesla coils are sort of unstable things
and blowing fuses for a variety for reasons (like turning the power up too high
;-)) is common.  A circuit breaker is far better and probably is not too
expensive compared to your box of fuses.  Look around since breakers are very
common as surplus.

We replaced all the fuses in our variacs with breakers and I can't tell you how
much trouble that saves.  Copper pipe will magically fit in the old fuse clips
or a hammer/vice and a saw/file will make the 10,000 amp spade version ;-)

BTW - Some hardware stores do sell these one at a time if you ask around but
expect to pay a high markup (like $20 each!).  However, I imagine someone will
have one.  I check too if we have any of the old fuses around but I think we
tossed them =:O

Cheers,

        Terry