From: Tesla list [mailto:tesla-at-pupman-dot-com]
Sent: Tuesday, October 23, 2001 8:44 PM
To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: RE: Looking for run caps, urgent

Hi Ted,

"I" have never quite figured out the PFC thing :-))  My big coil needs
200uF of PFC caps as predicted by computer models and proven in real life.
Most of the benefit from PFC caps in my case is from the first 100uF,  The
next 100uF does not add too greatly to the current reduction (a case of
diminishing returns).  You don't want too much PFC capacitance so it is
best to error on the low side.  There are some formula's..., here is mine:

Cpfc = ( Vo x Io ) / ( 2 x pi x f x Vi^2 )

Where
Cpfc = Power factor cap value in Farads
Vo = Rated NST output voltage in volts
Io = Rated NST output current in amps
pi = 3.14159...
f = AC line frequency (50 or 60Hz)
Vi = AC input voltage (120 VAC)

A search of the archives for "Power Factor Correction weirdness" bings up
much "stuff" ;-))

www.pupman-dot-com

Cheers,

	Terry