Async gap with rectified NST PS

Original poster: "Rothman, Aric by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Aric.Rothman-at-Honeywell-dot-com>

I am in the middle of construction of a high break rate (~1,400 bps) rotary
spark gap.  It will consist of a phenolic disk with belt drive from a 3450
motor, with appropriately sized sheaves to increase the rotational rate of
the disk.  The intended power supply will the MOT voltage doubler with
charging inductor as described in Greg Hunter's site.  In the event that
performance is poor or the power supply self-destructs (I am concerned about
insulation breakdown in the MOT charging inductor, making it a charring
inductor :), I would like to use NSTs as backup.  I would rectify the NST
output, thereby protecting them from the async gap tendency to otherwise
allow excessive voltage rise in the tank circuit.  Will this work without
putting the NSTs at too great a risk?  The Maxwell caps I am using will each
have there own spark gap protection.

Aric