Re: 15" coil project

Original poster: "BunnyKiller by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <bigfoo39-at-telocity-dot-com>

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Brett Miller by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <brmtesla-at-yahoo-dot-com>

> > and the 8" secondary resulted in a disaster of
> > racing arcs and fried
> > windings....
>
> Scot,
>
> Did you make sure you had the 8" system in good tune
> before you upped the variac to full?  Also, how many
> watts were you running when the secondary fried?  How
> many watts when you got the 10-12' arcs with the 12
> inch system?
>
> -Brett

Hi Brett....

the system consists of  2 -at- 1256 D powerstats in paralell capable of 70A
current for short periods,
homemade inductor presently set at 60A,  2-at- 14.4KV pig trannies run in
series ( with variacs set at
100% primary voltage is 32KV) ....   doing the math ummm   16.8KVA at full
power

Im pretty sure I had the smaller coil in tune before I upped the power to
it ... it "was" running
flawlessly... nice smooth sound, 2-3 main streamers 6-8' long... ( actually
the best I have ever
seen that secondary run)

most of the damage to the smaller secondary was located at the bottom 1/4
of the tube ... lots of
interwinding arcovers, burnt windings and heating...

I repaired the smaller (8") secondary and replaced the lower 1/3 with 18Ga.
and reran the system a
couple of weeks later... this time there was a bit better performance,
still had some secondary
flashovers but no wire damage.

Scot D