Re: crystal oscillator

Original poster: "R Heidlebaugh by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <rheidlebaugh-at-zialink-dot-com>

on 10/20/01 6:49 PM, Tesla list at tesla-at-pupman-dot-com wrote:

> Original poster: "teri mckenney by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
> <mck-at-ezy-dot-net>
>
> Hello all,
> I had a quick conversation with an old timer the other day.(He built a TC
> "maybe 50 years ago".He was pretty concerned with the coil interfering with
> the
> neighbors reception etc.Anyway, he said to wind it to an industrial frequency
> and use a crystal oscillator with a clean class AB linear power amp to drive
> it.Could someone explain this setup to me? I think I read once that the amps
> were inefficient for this use.
> Thanks
> Billy Mck.

Billy;   TC circuits basicly rely on extreamly high current pulses in the
primary to excite the natural resonance in the secondary and produce large
sparks. That is why tesla and moray used 3/8 thick x 2 in copper straping in
thier primary coils. The capacitor delivered the high current. Vacuum tube
coils work quite differently. In a tube/transistor circuit the tube is
opperated as an oscilator not as a high current spark. The circuits are
tuned oscilator/ transformer disign. A crystal can be easly used, but a
hartley oscilator is more common because of its higher power. Some people
are using tubes and thyratrons as switches to simulate a spark. Some are
sucessful, but the current of a tube seldom matches a spark gap. I have both
types of coils , both have there uses. Spark gaps are more dynamic and noisy
thrill producers of high voltage. Tube oscilators are stable and predictable
 for testing purpoces, no bang. When I nead a megavolt my tube types  dont
make the grade, so I put up with the spark gap's lack of stability to get
the voltage I nead.
     Robert H       ps. an old radio ama. handbook has the circuits for
tubes.