Re: Rotary gaps...

Original poster: "BunnyKiller by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <bigfoo39-at-telocity-dot-com>

> > How have some of yall done the phase adjusting tests.  i.e. the
> > flourescent tube and a white line across the disk holding the flying
> > electrodes.
> >
> > BTW we calculated that the flying electrodes are movin at 107mph,
> > or 156 feet per second.  This thing sounds and looks neat.

SNIPPERZZZ>>

ohh yea  to continue on...

what I did to find the "peak point" of the cap charge was a bit different
from most conventional
methods...

I removed the electrodes from the disc and placed a solid ring on the
disc... then I moved the
stationary electrodes about 3/4" from the disc ( this is a bit dangerous
for the caps if they are
close to the operating voltage of the primary...) and put a black mark on
the disc from the center to
the edge where one of the ring hold down screws was locatd. I turned the
power up to maximum and
noticed where the arcs to the ring were making contact compared to the
black mark... I then rotated
the motor in its holder until the temporary hold down screws ( in the same
place where the rotating
electrodes are placed) were in line with the electrodes.  The idea behind
this is that with enuf
spacing between the static gap and the rotor the caps will fire at its peak
voltage, thus with some
adjustment, the holes where the rotating electrodes are to be placed can be
lined up with the static
electrodes...

altho with SRSG's there is always a piont where the rotating electrode will
be " close enuf to" the
static gap ( even 1/2" distance) to fire prematurely or even later...

somewhere in the archives Terry has some info on the timing factor about so
many milliseconds dwell
BPF ( before peak fire)

and to top off your questions...

rotor speed and disc material...  yes 3600 rpms do produce a fairly good
amount of "linear" speed (
especially as the disc becomes wider in diameter) but remember the
electrodes are moving in a
circular path... thus the electrodes are consistantly accelerating so
therefore the material used as
the disc must be capable to withstand the tremendious forces being exerted
on the material ( of the
disc) the heavier the electrode the more forces are applied...  if the disc
were to fail, and a
sudden imbalance were to occur due to even just one electrode flying off...
 the results are
spectacular and if the disc isnt enclosed in a protective "shield" ..
pieces parts become a definate
hazard...

take the time and do some math ( physics) and adjust the material
accordingly to handle the
stresses...

Scot D