Fly Killers into Tesla Coils?

Original poster: "Matthew Smith by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <matt-at-kbc-dot-net.au>

Hi All

Having a nest of Redbacks in an old electric fly killer caused me to
take it apart yesterday for cleaning and repair.  I discovered that the
power to the zapping grids came from a 240V/6kV transformer on a bobbin
like this:

BBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBB
BB     BBBBBBBBBBB     BB
BBpppppBBBBBBBBBBBsssssBB
BBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBB
BBpppppBBBBBBBBBBBsssssBB
BB     BBBBBBBBBBB     BB
BBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBB

(X-sectional view for those interested in cores; p=primary winding,
s=secondary winding, B=core[bobbin])

The transformer was protected from 'flashing' the grids by a solid-state
safety gap in the form of a single MOV.

This thing can deliver enough instantaneous current to fry a fly but I
doubt that, on its own, it would be enough to drive anything serious.
However, a) these could be built into banks (and shouldn't be too
expensive) and b) I would guess that the larger ones seen in shops may
have meatier transformers.

Anybody ever tried or thought of trying these in coiling?

Cheers

Matthew Smith