Re: Triggered gap-LOUD

Original poster: "R Heidlebaugh by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <rheidlebaugh-at-zialink-dot-com>

on 10/19/01 4:57 PM, Tesla list at tesla-at-pupman-dot-com wrote:

> Original poster: "Metlicka Marc by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
> <mystuffs-at-orwell-dot-net>
>
> Hmmm,
> I Noticed that the volume setting on the tv shows more bars then it used
> too,
> Maybe it isn't old age after all. Maybe sound proofing should be a
> standard component, the ceiling tile sounds like it will be a good
> approach.
>
> As a side note: check this site out, http://www.science-workshop-dot-com/  A
> spectrum analyzer for a coilers pocket It sounds almost to good to be
> true, but if there is a remote chance this will work on one of my
> scopes, i think it is worth a try.
> Marc M.
>

> Tesla list wrote:
>>
>> Original poster: "Terry Fritz" <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>
>>
>> Hi Ted,
>>
>> You definitly need "sound absorbing" material.  My hardwood enclosed gap is
>> almost as load as an open air gap.  Simply enclosing the gap does not help
>> much.  Sort of like a drum.  The sound/shock wave from the gap firing must
>> be a very powerful short burst that behaves differently than typical load
>> things.  It seem oddly hard to muffle...
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Terry
>>
>> At 08:17 AM 10/19/2001 -0500, you wrote:
>>> Alex:
>>>
>>> You mentioned one of the tgap's drawbacks: It is very loud.
>>> Once the haunted house is over and I bring my coil home, I will try to
close
>>> the "open frame" base cabinet with 4 ceiling tiles cut to size and attached
>>> with velcro for ease of service.
>>>
>>> But in the haunted house, THE LOUDER THE BETTER!
>>>
>>> Safety First
>>> Ted
>>>

>>> Subject: RE: Triggered gap
>>>

>>> Original poster: "Alex Madsen by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
>>> <alexmadsen-at-yahoo-dot-com>
>>> <BIG SNIP>
>>>

>>> It is very loud........
>>> Alex Madsen

Foam rubber packing with rough a surface like an egg carton is about the
best sound absorber you can get. I used it to line my basement gun room so I
could shoot 30-06 and 12 ga in my house in the winter with out bothering my
family with noise. It worked very well. I'm quite shure if it  will stop 06
noise it will supress a spark gap pop.
     Robert H