Re: Resonance Theory

Hi Matt,

On 17 Oct 2001, at 17:06, Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Matt Shayka by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
<lightningcreator-at-hotmail-dot-com>

> List,
>
> I have a theory that I came up with. I need to tell this story first:
>
> One day, while in a theme park, I was waiting for a few friends to get off a
> roller coaster. Behind the bench I was sitting on was a fancy metal fence,
> and one end of it was cut off. I dunno why. But I put my finger on it, and
> started pushing on it slowly and steadily out of boredom. I kept the pace
> steady, and the section of fencebegan to bounce wildly. then, as the rest of
> the fence started to creak, the frequency of the fence lowered and my finger
> was no longer in sync with the fence. I thought about it, And I also thought
> about the swing so often used to descibe resonance. as the amplitude
> increases, the frequency lowers because the seat has a greater distance to
> travel. And the observation that makes me belive this:

Should not the frequency be independent of amplitude? It is in a TC
resonator (leaving spark loading effects aside). As the amplitude
increases, the rate of change (speed of swing) increases also but the
period of oscillation remains the same. I would suggest that the
frequency changed as more fence was excited, in effect lengthening
the resonator.

> I was fiddling with my coil one night. I had recently gotten it to work
> muuch better than it was by removing the topload completly. (just a wire
> now) It now throws a 10" streamer with half the original 1kW tank circuit.
> (still pretty bad, but improving...) I watched the length of the streamers
> carefully. They start off at 8", grow to 10" over a 3 sec. period, then
> stop, and start all over again.(the output never actually "stopped".)

That behaviour is typical of TCs - sparks grow with time through
repetitive hammering of the discharge channel.At some point, growth
stops when there is insufficient energy in a primary shot to cause
any further channel growth. Convection serves to increase the channel
stretch (upwards) lengthening it beyond what a shot can deliver. I've
never been sure why the channel then completely recedes while a new
one forms.

> I think it starts off at a high frequency, and then lowers as the amplitutde
> increases.  It would be real hard to make a primary do that...
>
> Anyone else have this happen?  Comments?

Monitoring with the oscilloscope shows there is no substantial
frequency difference between a secondary excited with a few mW and
multi-kW of power.

Regards,
Malcolm