RE: Shorted turn?

Original poster: "Steve Greenfield by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <alienrelics-at-yahoo-dot-com>

It sounds like everyone who has tried gapping the
toroid has found the same thing, that the power lost
due to circulating currents in the toroid are
inconsequential.

Now: What are people doing to avoid circulating
currents in the guard ring? I mean that ring I
sometimes see just above the primary, grounded to
protect the primary windings from strikes. I don't
mean the secondary smaller toroid I often see on
larger coils just below the main toroid at the top of
the secondary.

If you can get arcs across a gap in a toroid where the
current is at it's lowest, I can see potentials for
problems in a guard ring located right above the
primary.

Steve Greenfield