Toroids

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <PeterCGMN-at-aol-dot-com>

    I have heard that for a discharge terminal, instead of using a toroid, a
coffee can will do the same job (on a smaller coil). If a toroid is used only
for capacitance, I don't see why this wouldn't work. Is what I have heard
true? I assume that if toroids are so much more popular they would provide
better performance, but I don't know why. Can anyone fill me in?

73, Kc0Ion,"Ion-Boy"