TESTED works, Flyback driver plans

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Pyrotrons-at-aol-dot-com>

Hi All.

I have been experimenting with MOSFET flyback drivers heavily for the past
several weeks.

Think I got a design DOWN now. Works great. Will drive a flyback up to 3.5"
arcs, yet I've not killed a MOSFET rated 100V. I'm still using the original
one (IRF540) that I started with....even through testing and prototype, which
is rare.

Thanks to Jan Wagner for helping me solve the "my 555 keeps dying!!" problem
; ) I haven't killed a single chip since that electrolytic went in across V+
and ground at the chip (which was Jan's advice).

Using an IRF840 or similar (500V MOSFET) the circuit would be bulletproof.
The only thing that dies is the flyback, because I drive them at about 10
times they're rated power for fun ; )

To quote Aron, "the whole thing glows purple" and "it eats itself from the
outside in".

It's late at night right now, I could have screwed up somehow with the
website. I've triple checked everything, it should be good. Please, someone
let me know if they find a significant error.

Take care, I do hope someone enjoys this.

Justin Hays
KC5PNP
G-3 #1150
Email: pyrotrons-at-aol-dot-com