Re: wood core coils

Original poster: "Stolz, Mark by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Mark.Stolz-at-st-systems-dot-com>

Steve, Robert, All

>Original poster: "Steve Greenfield by way of Terry Fritz
><twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <alienrelics-at-yahoo-dot-com>
>
>--- R Heidlebaugh <rheidlebaugh-at-zialink-dot-com> wrote:
>
> > Use white PVC
> > plastic pipe to avoid
> > trouble that is common to wood and cardboard.
> >     Robert H

Robert,

Cardboard isn't necessarily a bad thing.  I've pushed 4kVA through a 2.5"
cardboard tube secondary with no carbon tracking problems.  At that power
level though the 32AWG wire I used had some problems. :-(

>So, can anyone state with authority whether or not PVC
>will absorb any moisture? And whether or not black ABS
>sewer pipe is suitable for Tesla coil cores?

Do NOT use black PVC!  It is colored with carbon black and will not work.
One of my friends attempted to use a piece of black PVC and ended up only
getting a couple inches out using two 15/60 NSTs for input.  We wound a new
secondary on white PVC and the sparks immediately increased to 22+" without
changing anything else.

Mark Stolz
G-2 #1049
Houston, TX