Re: triggered gap for MOT?

Original poster: "Gregory Hunter by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <ghunter31014-at-yahoo-dot-com>

Hi Peter,

If you use half-wave voltage doublers with your two
MOTs, you will achieve roughly 12kvdc in the form of
60Hz pulses. 12kvdc is capable of jumping a reasonably
wide gap, so that power arcing is not a big issue,
assuming a robust gap design. The pulsed nature of the
current is also a factor, as the 60Hz thumps have a
pretty good amount of "dead time" between them, which
discourages power arcing. I got my voltage doubled
twin MOT supply to work pretty good without a TSG. The
current was way too much for the little 47nF tank cap,
so the bang rate (within each "on" time) ran
free--pretty wild! It might work even better with the
added control provided by the TSG.

Regards,

Greg
http://hot-streamer-dot-com/greg