Re: Tube switch (was -tube coils)

In a message dated 10/11/01 2:53:22 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:

> if one were to have a high voltage, high power triode tube,
>
>  could this replace the spark gap thus quiting down the coil while in
>  operation?
>
>  Ry

Ry,

A normal vacuum tube type triode will not work because the
impedance is too high.  A hydrogen thryratron will work, but
needs two of them arranged back-to-back to handle the two-way
current in the tank.  These hydrogen thyratron systems need
special triggering circuits and isolation, and may tend to fail
after awhile.  It's tricky.  I heard there's a new expensive type
of thyratron that can handle two way currents.

Richard Hull is the only person I know of who has tried a
single hydrogen thyratron for a TC.  Since it was a single
thyratron, he was not able to obtain a full power transfer.

Cheers,
John