Re: Wire question

In a message dated 10/10/01 8:19:30 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:

Marc,

I agree with Peter; to really see a difference a larger jump in wire
size is probably needed.  I suggest going to 28awg formvar or similar.
The benefits of using a thinner wire like that will probably be
most noticeable using a rather large value capacitor such as
an LTR (larger than resonant sized).  A large capacitor tends
to reduce the surge impedance, which raises the gap losses,
depending on the frequency though.  To offset the effects of
the large capacitor, it's helpful to use a high primary inductance,
which necessitates the use of a high secondary inductance to
keep the coil in tune.  At least that's what I seem to see in my
work.  I saw a 10% spark length increase in my coil when I went
from 20awg wire to 28awg wire using a 6" x 24" secondary.
The spark length increased from 38" to 42" using the thinner
wire.  The sparks were also much brighter and more energetic.
The coil was powered by a 12/30 NST, and used an 0.0147uF
capacitor.

A similar coil, but portable, and of somewhat lower efficiency can
be seen at my website at:

  http://hometown.aol-dot-com/futuret/page3.html

Cheers,
John