Re: tube coils

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Tesla729-at-cs-dot-com>

In a message dated 10/10/01 9:14:08 PM Central Daylight Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

>    While the 100kvish transformers seem tempting, reports
>    indicate that spark gaps need top be largely reinvented.
>    Much careful work & time over 110 years have yielded
>    good approaches for the 15/20 KV range.  For 100KV, the
>    spark gap would need reinventing/reoptimizing.
>
>    I suspect such a coil would be interesting, but a lot
>    of cut and try....
>
>    best
>    dwp

Hi John, Dave,

I've often wondered about the feasability of an x-ray tranny
powered Tesla system. Not only would the spark gap have
to be "reinvented", but the requirements of the primary cap
would also be truly enormous. I have posession of a 140 kV,
500 mA x-ray tranny that tips the scales at nearly 1000 lbs
and the thought has crossed my mind that this would power
one heckuva Tesla coil! However, trying to build a primary
circuit that could hold off ~ 150 kV and then obtaining a
high rep rate, low loss, pulse duty capacitor in the multi-
nFD range that could digest 150 kVAC without going nuclear
would prove to be very impractical and $$ expensive $$ for
the average coiler hobbiest. Maybe some better funded group
(i.e.-Geek Group) could pioneer into the development of a
>100 kV primary voltage Tesla system?

My $.02 worth,
David Rieben

PS -- When properly ballasted, x-ray trannies DO make practical
power supplies for awesome Jacob's Ladders  :-)