Re: Ball Lightning (and patent violations)

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Mddeming-at-aol-dot-com>

Hi All,

This applies to the BL devices discussed and also to certain "enhancements" to
Tesla Coils, so it's still OT.

Snip - - - -
In a message dated 10/10/01 10:49:13 AM Eastern Daylight Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

>    For anyone interested in BL generation, the apparatus Koloc uses to
> generate ball lightning is not too
> sophisticated for the talented amateur, and probably can be reproduced, but
> his methods are heavily
> protected by patents.  Any efforts to reproduce his experiments using his
> methods may be under the
> jurisdiction of patent law and/or his approval.  He is highly concerned
> about safety issues
> (understandably) and is unwilling to grant patent licenses to amateurs.

Snip - - - -

I spoke to an attorney friend of mine about this.
The existence of a patent DOES NOT restrict anyone from copying a design or
method per se. It only prevents you from copying it for profit or using it to
create something from which you profit.

Example: Widget35 is patented by Joe Schmoe.
1. If you build a Widget35 for your own fun, No problem.
2. If you try to build and sell Widget35s, BIG problem!
3. If you build a Widget35 and use it to make Thing12s which you sell, Big
Problem!
4. If you win a science fair for building a Widget35, Big fraud problem!
5. If, using your home-built Widget35, you discover something with it that wins
you a Nobel prize, you may get the honor, but J. Schmoe and his attorneys sue
you for the cash part of the prize ($900K +).
6. You publish the results of your research with your Widget35 and the book
becomes a best seller, J. Schmoe and his attorneys sue you for the royalties.
7. You build a Widget35 to the specifications of the patent and it does NOT
work. You are paid for the publishing of your negative results - Your attorney
and his attorney duel with each other until you both go broke, then they
retire. ;-))

Hope this helps some,

Matt D.
G3-1085