Re: Wire question

Original poster: "Peter Lawrence by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Peter.Lawrence-at-Sun-dot-com>

Marc,
     this is one of my favorite topics. I've been sticking with 3.5" x 12"
coil forms and trying different wire sizes. I've never been able to tell
the difference between guages two numbers apart, but difference do start
to become apparent at 4 guages appart. I'ld suggest going from #22 to #26.

With your smaller guage coil you can either increase the turns in your
primary, or increase the capacitance in your primary. These have different
effects as well.

I mostly notice subjective differences in the spark other than its length
which seems to remain fairly constant (I've used #24, #28, #32, and #36).
Someday I'll take some spark photos, and put up a web page with them in it,
so people can see the differences I'm talking about, its more about shape
and direction than length.

happy experimenting!
Peter Lawrence.