Re: solid state magnifier ---

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Mike Depot by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
<mike-at-ici-dot-net>

> Have you considered using IGBTs instead of MOSFETs?
>
> I thought the first two pages of this doc were interesting...
> http://www.onsemi-dot-com/pub/Collateral/AN1541-D.PDF

	In my experience IGBT's are a lot harder to blooie than regular
bipolars.  I am using an IXYS (would have to open the case to find the
#) to drive an ignition coil with excellent results.  The driver is a
uses two 555 timers to control the frequency and pulse width
independently.  The only negative to the IGBT's is that they have more
voltage drop than a bipolar driven hard enough.  About a constant two
volts +\-.  Reliability is worth the slight reduction in performance.

Ed