Re: Capacitors

Original poster: "BunnyKiller by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <bigfoo39-at-telocity-dot-com>

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Johnson, Jeffrey D -at- PWC by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <jeffrey.d.johnson-at-l-3com-dot-com>

> Hi all,
> I've got 8 pieces of 12x9" 30mil circuit board I want to use for a tank cap.
> Should I use them as is just hooked in series/parallel or do I need to strip
> some copper off to prevent arcing?  If so how much?  Strip around all edges
> on one side or what?  Ok to run dry?
>
> Also, since the ckt bd cap only gets me about 1/2 way there, I was going to
> build one out of a big round HDPE container that had protein powder in it.
> I can get my whole arm in there so I wonder if I can stick Al foil to the
> inside and outside making a more efficient cap than SW.  If I did that would
> it be ok to run it dry?
> Please tell me what you think.
>
> Best regards,
> Jeff Johnson

Hi Jeff...

you will need to strip off about an inch of metal from around the edges of
the boards. ( are the boards double sided? Cu
on both sides? if they are you will need to either strip off all the Cu on
one side OR you can compress the boards
together and "use" the 2 touching sides as " one plate". If you expect
decient output from your coil you will HAVE to
submerge the plate assembly in oil ( mineral, castor, transformer, etc...)

since you seem to be on a budget.... try the party cup cap...   do a search
in the archives for more info on it..
if you can find a way...  do the MMC cap....

Scot D