Re: secondaries

Greg,

I don't think there's any real rule, but I prefer taller, thinner secondaries,
using about 1500 turns, at least for a small coil.  I have no idea
if a large coil should follow the same rules.  IMO a 10" secondary
should be about 60" tall or so, maybe even taller.  The narrow
secondary has less self capacitance, and permits a larger toroid
to be used for a given input power.  A tall narrow coil tends to be
light weight, and can tolerate cheap, lightweight, thin wire.  The
sparks from a tall secondary are less likely to strike down and
hit the ground or the primary.

My small coil, etc. is at:

      http://hometown.aol-dot-com/futuret/page3.html

John