Re: solid state magnifier...accidentally...cool!

Original poster: "R Heidlebaugh by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <rheidlebaugh-at-zialink-dot-com>

on 10/08/01 8:16 AM, Tesla list at tesla-at-pupman-dot-com wrote:

> <Hollmike-at-aol-dot-com>
>
> Mattew,
> The hydrogen is formed when charging the battery, so you shouldn't have to
> worry about that.   The reason this occurs is because normally about two
extra
> volts is applied by the charger to make it faster, but the overvoltage tends
> split some water molecules in a competing reaction.  I think the maintenance
> free batteries use a catylist (like platinum) to recombine the oxygen and
> hydrogen gases back to water in the headspace of the cells.  Don't quote
me on
> that though.  That is the only way I can envision a way to eliminate the need
> to add water.
> Mike
>

>> Question - I guess that if I run my equipment of 12/24V lead acid
>> batteries, I'd need them a *long* way from any coils to stop any
>> hydrogen igniting.  Would on the other side of the walls of my (steel)
>> shed be adequate?
>>
>> Cheers
>>
>> Matthew Smith

I once had a set of 3000 anp phone co. cells I used for 24 volts. Each cell
had a felt breather on top to isolate the hyrdogen inside the cell from the
air outside in case of a fire. this was to prevent an explosion inside the
cell. My equipment was separated from my cells and the cells were ventalated
with a open window. I never had any problems. simple separation and
ventalation is sufficent in most cases.
     Robert H