Re: Megger test.

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Hollmike-at-aol-dot-com>

Well, I am not arguing about a DC megger.  The one I had was DC and was meant
for testing the earth resistance in grounding rods.   It had very long leads.
One was connected to your ground rod and the other(hot lead) to a temporary rod
at about 20-30 ft away.  Then a third, temporary rod was placed about halfway
between them and a voltage drop was measured between your ground rod and the
mid point rod.  It came with charts etc. to aid in calculation of your ground
rod's earth resistance.  I wish I still had it.
   My Hi-Pot tester on the other hand is meant to test dielectrics.  It has a
HV trannie basically the same as a OBIT and a resistor based voltage divider to
measure the output.  It also has two neon light indicators that indicate when
leakage current begins and when break-down voltage is reached.  This tester
output goes up to 10kVAC  .  My favorite use for it has been to set my (static)
spark gaps to fire at a desired voltage.  Works great for it.  Seems to work
great for that purpose.
Mike