Re: chokes

> Hi Greg,
> On this subject you will find as many opinions as there are "Biological
exhaust
> systems" (Everybody's got one.) To my knowledge, no one has done a long-term,
> controlled, comparison study in coils identical except for filter chokes.
Most
> evidence is anecdotal-- ("Such-and-such seems to work for me, it must be
> right.") The cost of such a comprehensive study would be beyond the means of
> most Coilers, since it requires a statistically significant number of
> transformers to "run to failure". Perhaps the Geek Group could undertake
such a
> project. For now, this is still an experimental science.
>
> Matt D.

	Network simulation is not experimental, and the results are valid.  It
is obvious that a lot of chokes that have been described here would do
nothing at all, and therefor at best be harmless.  Terry is correct and
chokes are a waste of time.  Resistors will do more good, backed up with
the MOV's or plain safety gap directly across the NST secondary.

	One useful contribution to general knowledge here would be for someone
to go to the trouble of trying to model the outer layers of an NST
secondary and then determine current and voltage distribution during a
discharge.  Can surely be accomplished by modern modeling techniques,
but I don't know how to do it.

Ed