Re: Coil schematics?

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Esondrmn-at-aol-dot-com>

In a message dated 10/3/01 10:50:45 AM Pacific Daylight Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

> Hi Terry, Gary,
>
> Thanks for the tips!!  My thoughts were that if the PFC cap is connected
> directly across the NST, it would likely be having to keep charging up with
> every poewer-up of the coil.  It no doubt would be OK like that but I would
> think that since the PFC acts as a "holding tank", it remains fully charged
> and
> "ready to go" when connected across the mains. I run my coil for only 2-3
> seconds at a time, but you make a good point about the higher currents
> involved.
>
> As for the placement of the safety gaps, it seems there are a couple schools
> of
> thought on that? I've seen them placed directly across the NST output as well
>
> as after the RC network, across the main gap as I have them.  My thinking is
> that if anything happens to the main gap, i.e. it gets opened too wide or
> somehow gets disconnected, the safety gap is right there to fire off and let
> you know. Is there a standard that needs to be set here or am I just blowing
> smoke?  Thanks for your comments, you guys are great.
>
> Marc
> Ca, USA

It sounds like we are talking about three gaps here - which is how I have my
system set up.  There is a safety gap near the pig, center post grounded to
main rf ground.  Then there is the sync rotary gap located below the primary.
Then I have a static safety gap across the rotary to protect my caps.

Ed Sonderman