Re: Spherical vs. toroidal top loads on tube coils

Original poster: "claude masetto by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <claudmas-at-optusnet-dot-com.au>

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tesla list" <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
To: <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Sent: Wednesday, October 03, 2001 12:30 AM
Subject: Spherical vs. toroidal top loads on tube coils

> Original poster: "David Speck by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
<dspeck-at-relex-dot-com>

> I'm pondering the construction of a tube coil using a pair of 833As, and a
> roughly 4: diameter
> x 24" long secondary.  I've noted that several current VTTC designs use a
> small toroid on the
> secondary, just like a SGTC.
>
> I don't happen to have a small toroid at the moment, but recently ran
> across a fine spun
> aluminum sphere about 7" in diameter.  Does anyone have any idea how a
> spherical topload would
> compare to a toroidal topload of the same general size?  Is there any
> reasonable chance of it
> working?
>
> Thanks -- I'll look forward to hearing any ideas about this.
>
> Dave
>
> Hi Dave,
I have a 3.5"x13" secondary and I use a 6"x1.25" torroid with a 3" nail for
a breakout point.
I found that if I use a large torroid spark breakout occurs much later, if
at all and I had problems
with arcing between secondary and primary. The size of the sparks does not
vary much with
different torroid sizes but a small torroid makes it easier to tune and I`ve
found that the sparks
appear much brighter with a torroid as opposed to no torroid. I think that
the idea is to experiment
with different sizes and see what gives the best results, but don`t go too
large as I`ve herd that this
can also damage your tubes.
Good luck,
Claude.