Re: science fair problem

Hi Jim,
        Nice idea, but I fear it takes us firmly back into the realm
of "science":

On 3 Oct 2001, at 16:36, Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Jim Lux by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
<jimlux-at-earthlink-dot-net>

> (Who is "me"?)
>
> If your fair allows "engineering" type projects (i.e. it doesn't require
> the question/hypothesis/test/conclusions paradigm), then any number of
> topics can be done:
>
> 1) Spark length as a function of applied AC voltage
> 2) Spark length as a function of primary C
> 3) Spark length as a function of topload size/shape
> 4) Ozone production as a function of breakout vs non-breakout
> 5) Sound level
> 6) Streamer/Spark formation
>
> etc

This is a problem that has been debated at length. The hidden problem
in those seemingly simple questions is to exclude all other variables
from the mix - bang size, gap losses etc. etc. In essence, the basic
question about spark length falls into the same category as "how long
is a piece of string?" IMO. The real question perhaps is "what is the
very best you can do?"

Regards,
Malcolm