Re: chokes

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Mddeming-at-aol-dot-com>

In a message dated 10/3/01 10:53:21 AM Eastern Daylight Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

> Thank you all for your individual input on chokes. However, this has
> served to confuse me even more. Some of you are using a few turns on a
> 3/4" air core. Some of you are saying not to use an RF choke at all,
> and yet more are saying to use many turns on a ferrite core. All the
> repliers have claimed that their particular system has worked very well
> for them. This is all really confusing. I would very much like to hear
> what people like Richard Hull and Quick have to say on this matter if
> they are still out there.
>
> Richard Quick used to use 18 turns on a 2" ferrite core. However, this
> is exactly what I was using when my neon died, so I am a bit skeptical
> of it. Conversely, I ran my coil successfully for months without any
> chokes at all! help!!!!!!
>
> Greg.

Hi Greg,
On this subject you will find as many opinions as there are "Biological exhaust
systems" (Everybody's got one.) To my knowledge, no one has done a long-term,
controlled, comparison study in coils identical except for filter chokes. Most
evidence is anecdotal-- ("Such-and-such seems to work for me, it must be
right.") The cost of such a comprehensive study would be beyond the means of
most Coilers, since it requires a statistically significant number of
transformers to "run to failure". Perhaps the Geek Group could undertake such a
project. For now, this is still an experimental science.

Matt D.