intro + Australian coilers+caps+transformers etc

Original poster: "Mr Gregory Peters by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <s371034-at-student.uq.edu.au>

Hi everyone,

Just a quick introduction as I am new to the list. I made several coils
when I was 15 in high school (4" 6" and 12"). Six years have passed, I
went to uni, got a degree and so on. Anyway, I lost interest in coiling
until yesterday, when, for some strange reason, I dusted off the old 6"
and fired it up. It was a real buzz. The old poly caps still work and
no fires! Unfortunately, I blew one of my neons which leads me to my
first question. Is there anyone in Australia who knows where I could
get a cheap pole pig locally (Brisbane)? I've got the bug again and I
want bigger sparks!!! Also, are polypropylene and HDPE a better
dielectric in a flat plate capacitor than LDPE? Which is best?
I was wandering around uni yesterday and I found a big red sheet metal
box with a single high voltage terminal. There is no info on the box
except the brandname "Carpco" and the serial number RL408 485. I later
found out the box was once a power supply to an electrostatic mineral
separator. I can't find any info about it on the net, but other
separators I've seen on the net seem to use about 100kV DC. Does anyone
know anything about this "box"? The box has a single huge insulated HV
terminal, a 4 pin low voltage socket and some kind of adjustment knob.
Any info would be great! I'd also like to hear from any coilers in my
area.

Cheers,

Greg Peters

Earth Sciences, University of Queensland (Australia).