Re: science fairs

Original poster: "Eleanor Flood by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <eflood-at-bellsouth-dot-net>

Hi all,
Since this thread is still running here's my .02.  I have been judging
local science fairs (ages 8 thru 18) for the past 10 years or so.
Started with Botany...my strong suit.  Gradually, because of the lack of
qualified judges, have been asked to judge other categories.  I have
judged areas in which I have little knowledge, and tell the Consodium
so.  If pressed to go on I tell the entrants that I am not knowledgeable
in their field and that they need to teach me.  I learn a lot from these
kids.
In judging best overall categories...sometimes covering a real wide
range of expertise...I  find that category judges do frequently judge by
'glitz' and overlook the scientific information.   The best of
(whatever) sometimes ends up being a project that did not even place in
their individual category.  I try to judge fairly, without predjudice in
any form, to see the scientific approach, to look at the reason and
thinking rather than being impressed with trappings.
Judging is a volunteer job and not many can or will take a full day of
their lives each year for this.  It would be wonderful if more
scientific-minded people would give their time for judging.  I find this
to be a rewarding experience.  Most of the young folks present a fine
display.  They are doing their best.  I look forward to Science Fair
time.
Have yet to see any Tesla related projects locally, but remember that I
live in the most backward county in Florida.
Safe coiling!
Elli