From: "Tesla list" <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
To: <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Sent: Tuesday, November 27, 2001 9:06 PM
Subject: Charging Inductor

> Original poster: "Mike Nolley by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
<nolleym-at-willamette.edu>

> I was interested in the talk recently about using Mots as charging
> inductors. Would
> removing the primary, or removing the shunts at all affect performance?

Answer:  In my opinion, no.  the shunt only affects coupling between Primary
& secondary.  In charging reactor mode, the primary is in effect
non-existent and the shunts have no effect.

>  In  addition, if the core were to be gapped, how much should it be gapped
> maintain
> the necessary inductance?

Answer:  Only a small air gap is needed, such as a hack saw width.
Inductance will drop, but my experiments show the inductance value isn't
very critical if a series diode is used.

  If you weren't going to take the time to grind
> off the
> weld beads and insert gaps, how would stringing multiple Mots together
> affect the
> charging inductor characteristics, and the insulation requirements?

Answer:  Same as resistors.  String them in series & the inductance is the
sum of them.  More inductance means more spark gap dwell time (lower RSG
RPM) can be tolerated before the inductor saturates.   Insulation
requirements would go down the more you put in series.

 I > would think
> you'd need a Mot for every 2kv of the average power supply voltage, but I
> could be
> mistaken.

Answer:  My power supply is 8-9 KV DC depending on the load, and one MOT
seems to withstand that OK.  It has never flashed over.

Soon I will try making an air gap in one to see if it performs better.   One
could knock out the shunts and saw through the center leg, or as you suggest
grind through the weld beads and put a gap between the E and I sections.  I
will probably try the latter approach.  Theoretically it should allow a lot
more current through it without saturating.
--Steve Young