From: Tesla list [mailto:tesla-at-pupman-dot-com]
Sent: Wednesday, November 28, 2001 7:02 PM
To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: TSG beginner Questions

Original poster: "Patrick Bloofon by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <transactoid-at-home-dot-com>

Just a few questions regarding triggered spark gaps for a beginner...

1) This is my first coil and I just want to get sparks...do they work
considerably better than an RQ spark gap?  They do seem easier to build...
I am not familiar with an RQSG. If you are talking about a SRSG research is
still being conducted.

2) I'm was looking at this site and it had a nice simple TSG:
<http://www.fortunecity-dot-com/meltingpot/syria/1210/id42.htm>http://www.fortu
necity-dot-com/meltingpot/syria/1210/id42.htm
What is a "motor run capacitor" and do I really need one?

Yes!! It limits the current to pulses.
They are capacitors used on motors and are not to hard to find. 2 to 4uf
seem to work well on my TSG.
http://www.usamfg-dot-net/files/november200171-80.pdf
http://www.usamfg-dot-net/ (there home page)

One thing that is not talked about at
<http://www.fortunecity-dot-com/meltingpot/syria/1210/id42.htm> is putting MOVs
in the circuit. Something is recommended.

3) What does the dimmer switch do? How does it control the SG?
It creates pulses of current. The dial adjusts where in phases (cycle) the
pulse is. this pulse "travels" to the ignition coil. The coil spits out high
voltage spark.

4) Do I still have to adjust the spacing between the gaps? It seems to me
that
setting the initial gap spacing would be difficult
.
It is actually easer to set. First off, make sure your safety gap is
properly set. If you do not have one make one, also look into making a NST
filter if you do not have one.  I would first get the coil in tune. You can
do this by using the trigger gap as a static gap, just move the electrodes
in. don't worry about getting the setting to exact. Once the coil is in
close to being tuned move the electrodes out until the safety begins to fire
(move them out a little more). Now turn on the dimmer and set the dial in
the center. The safeties should stop fireing.
Now just adjust the dimmer until the spark length is maximized.

5) Finally, is there a way to test the TSG? Like could I wire up a cap and
my
NST to it just to generate sparks? (ie, tank circuit minus the primary and
secondary).

Yes this can be accomplished by disconnecting the NST. You should see a
spark jump from the center electrode to one of the side electrodes. If one
does not try adjusting the dimmer. if this does not change anything move the
center electrode closer to one of the side electrodes.

BTW, I will be using a 15/30 NST for starters (with plans to upgrade) and 8
SW
caps.

If possible I would get some MMCs from the Geek Group.
Alex Madsen
 www.geocities-dot-com/alexmadsen