Re: Attaching Toroid to Secondary

Original poster: "J. B. Weazle McCreath by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <weazle-at-hurontel.on.ca>

Hello Coilers,

On the three secondaries I've made to date, I've turned a hardwood
plug about two inches thick to be a tight press fit into the PVC
secondary form.  I then went to the hardware store and bought some
bolts/screws that are commonly used for attaching legs to furniture.
They have screw threads on one end and machine (bolt & nut) threads
on the other end, and are about 2 inches long overall.

The screw-like end is turned into a drilled blind hole in the plug
by putting two hex nuts jammed together on the machine screw end of
it and using a wrench.  It's VERY important that the hole doesn't
go all the way through...you don't want internal arcing!!  I then
slip a copper tab over the threaded portion sticking up, followed
by a lock washer and hex nut.  The upper end of the secondary wire
is soldered to the tab.

My toroid(s) have a flat plate centre which has a hole in it to
slip over the bolt, then I secure it with a second lock washer
and hex nut.  It's quite strong and provides a good electrical
and mechanical connection.  If I want to play with raising up
the toroid, it's easy to screw on an extension as one of the
other list members described.

73, Weazle, VE3EAR/VE3WZL

Listening: 147.030+ and 442.075+
E-mail:    weazle-at-hurontel.on.ca