Re: Attaching Toroid to Secondary

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Esondrmn-at-aol-dot-com>

In a message dated 11/26/01 7:57:57 PM Pacific Standard Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

> I'm thinking of heating a nut and melting it right into my plastic end cap
> (being careful to not break through it, of course). Then I can attach a bolt
> my toroid and screw it right into the nut.
>
> The problem I see with this is that the height of the toroid won't be
> adustable, and I'm not sure how I'd attach the secondary wire.
>
> How do all you guys attach your toroids to your secondaries?
>
> Thanks,
> Patrick.
>
> Patrick

,

Here's how I do it.  I take a pvc end cap and sand or turn on the lathe so the
bottom is flat.  Then I glue this on to the top of the secondary.  Now I insert
a piece of pvc pipe into the end cap - say 4.0" long.  Take another end cap,
flattened on the bottom and drill a 1/4" hole through the center.  Insert a
nylon bolt, maybe 1.0" long, from the inside and epoxy it in place.  The epoxy
won't stick to the nylon but it will hold it in place and keep it from
turning.  Now place this piece on the pvc pipe.  All my toroids have a 1/4"
mounting hole in the center, with the center mounting disk covered in aluminum
tape.  The top wire of the secondary has been sanded for about 2.0" to remove
the insulation.  This wire is just looped around the nylon bolt that is
sticking up.  I just set the toroid in place and use a nylon flat washer and
nylon wing nut to hold it in place.  The secondary to toroid connection is made
j! ust by the toroid being clamped in place on top of the bare wire.  You can
adjust the height of the toroid by using different length sections of pvc
pipe.  The size of the pipe and end caps varies according to the size of the
secondary and toroid that needs to be supported.  I use 1.0" on my smaller 3.0"
diameter secondary and 4.0" dia. pvc on the larger 6.0" diameter secondary.

Ed Sonderman