Re: MMC voltage ratings

In a message dated 11/27/01 3:20:31 PM Eastern Standard Time,
tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:

> Surely a resonant or STR cap would be much better for a static gap - this
>  allows the gap to fire more reliably because of a higher voltage across it.
>  With an LTR cap the you dont get such a high firing voltage, particularly
if
>  the cap is very LTR.
>
>  Best Regards,
>  Jason

Jason,

An STR cap will give shorter sparks though for a given NST.
A resonant cap will demand a wider gap, for longest sparks,
which may lead to NST failure.  For NST reliability and long
sparks, an LTR seems to be the best choice.  I agree one
should not go too far in the LTR direction with a static gap.
Perhaps 2X resonant is a maximum LTR value for best results
when using a static gap.

Cheers,
John