Subj: Re: My Primary Coil disaster
Date: 11/27/2001 7:13:13 AM Pacific Standard Time
From: <mailto:tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
To: <mailto:tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Sent from the Internet (Details)

Original poster: "Bill Vanyo by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
<vanyo-at-echoes-dot-net>

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Yurtle Turtle by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <yurtle_t-at-yahoo-dot-com>

> --- Tesla list <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com> wrote:
> > Original poster: "Peter Lawrence by way of Terry
> > Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Peter.Lawrence-at-Sun-dot-com>
> >
> > Patrick,
> >  Most would say don't make the primary mount
> > with holes, use slots
> > instead and lay the coil down into the slots. My own
> > method is to use holes,
> > but to bend the tubing first then thread the mounts
> > onto the coil and then
> > LASTLY attach the mounts to the table. You are
> > right, feeding tubing through
> > mount holes that are already affixed to the table
> > will never work.
> > -Pete Lawrence.
>
> I disagree that threading 1/4" copper tubing through
> support holes is impossible. While it was somewhat
> difficult, the results are far more attractive than
> most surface mounts I've seen. I threaded 50', then an
> additional 15' through eight 1/2" lexan supports with
> 17/64" holes, without any problem. I simply had my
> wife hold the coil overhead as I threaded the tubing
> from the outside towards the center. The results can
> be seen at:
>
> http://www.geocities-dot-com/yurtle_t/tesla/primary.htm

I agree the results are more attractive, but I can't see how you did it,
other than as Pete Lawrence describes above (which is my favorite
method).  You've got about 150 holes through 1/2" lexan.  That's the
equivalent of over 6 feet of holes you have to simultaneously slide the
tubing through (when you get near the end).  Isn't the friction
overwhelming?  As Patrick describes, you would only be sliding one
support at a time - about 1/8th the friction.  I've used poly cutting
board material - perhaps lexan is far more slippery.

    - Bill V.