Re: Annealing copper was (My Primary Coil disaster)

Original poster: "Metlicka Marc by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <mystuffs-at-orwell-dot-net>

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Bob Bozarth by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
<jbdetails-at-prodigy-dot-net>

>     So, is it safe to say that all it takes is heating the copper to anneal
> it? When I was witness to Al being annealed, it needed the carbon or
> something from the acetylene. It was applied to the pipe we were trying to
> use on our hydraulic pipe bender. Some amount of time was required, then a
> neutral flame was applied to the blackened pipe which caused the carbon to
> disappear. It was interesting to watch, and learn a little about how it
> worked. I'm assuming that every type of metal has it's own way

Annealing metal requires it to be brought to temp and cooled at a slow,
set rate. sometimes the metal is cooled some and then heated back up to
a set temp, cooled down, heated, repeated many times.
I remember seeing the charts from an annealing furnace when i worked at
a small steel mill here in orwell, the temp rose and fell over the
period of days.
I looked in my machinery's handbook and it covers annealing of steals,
but so far nothing on copper, But i have an old copy (nineteenth
edition) maybe a newer edition will say? I could scan the pages and send
if interested?
My metallurgy books burnt in my barn fire so no help there.
Hope this might help some,
Marc M.