Re: Atlantic Leap

Tesla list wrote:

<Hollmike-at-aol-dot-com>

> In a message dated 11/23/01 10:19:55 PM Mountain Standard Time,
> tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:

> > Where do I sign up? Just the other day in my history class the
>>teacher said something praising Marconi for inventing the radio

	He did.
	Independent of Tesla.
	Happens quite commonly.

	The difference is that Marconi chose to develop a workable
	system.  Tesla chose not to (until later.)

	Put another way:
		There are multiple definitions to the word 'invented'.

	A US dentist (Mahlon Loomis?) communicated via wires,
	hung from kites, decades earlier.  (if pressed, i might find
	a reference....)

>> (He had no idea what trouble he was getting into ;0) I took up the
>> rest of the hour exchanging useless dates and quotes with him, in
>> the end I did subside due to the threat of a detention...........

>>.....But you all know what I'm putting on the test ;0)

> > 73,Kc0Ion,"Ion-Boy"

> Might should bring some documentation to back up your answers and
> attach them to the test...

	A good idea...

===================================
As to whether or how Marconi could be replicated:

	1) In a ham radio mag, some years back, the view was
	expressed, with suitable numbers, that Marconi had not
	done what he thought.  Marconi was operating down in
	LF (VLF?  Someone with numbers?), and so reported his
	results.  But.  Running the numbers with modern
	knowledge of propagation, Marconi's system, etc, it
	appeared it would likely not work.  BUT.  If one makes
	'reasonable' assumptions about generations of harmonics,
	up into MW and SW, it appears quite possible to do it
	with Marconi's rig, IF inadvertently operating on harmonics.
	Since tuning was, uhmmmmmm. rather broadband, at the time,
	maybe.....

	2) It is well known that Tesla reported receiving
	'unidentified' signals in Colorado Springs.  He speculated
	that perhaps they were from Mars (which was 'close' at the
	time, IIR.)  I speculate, based on (1) above (which, is
	itself, speculation): perhaps Tesla was 'hearing' Marconi
	(or Lodge or one of the dozens of others busily inventing
	'wireless'.

	best
	dwp