Re: flexible aluminum... ugh

Original poster: "Metlicka Marc by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <mystuffs-at-orwell-dot-net>

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Mike Novak by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
<acmnovak-at-msn-dot-com>

> Hi All,
> I was hoping some people might share their knowledge of making smooth,
> homebrew toroids... I'm so sick of looking at those flexible duct toploads
> :-þ
> I was thinking of using bondo or something to coat a flexible aluminum
> toroid to make it smooth, then coat with aluminum tape. However, when I
> apply the tape, it always forms these unsightly wrinkles along the
> curvature... how do I avoid these?

Hi Mike,
I used "durabond" drywall mud to fill a 4" aluminum dryer duct toroid
with, it worked great. The only thing is don't use aluminum tape to hold
the duct together before coating, the mud won't stick to the tape "NO
MATTER WHAT YOU TRY"?
I mixed the drywall compound (which looks like plaster of paris, but is
lighter weight) and put it in a Tupperware container, then i "spoozed"
it onto the duct as i turned it. I found that after it was filled, if i
spun it in the mud it made a real smooth surface.
I did about a third at a time so i always had a way to handle it, it
dries in about a half hour and sands very nicely.
Now here's the process i am trying to cover it:
I'm using "gold leaf" to cover the thing with a conductive surface.
I say using because this gold leaf is so frustrating to use, I've only
got half done so far?
I work on it until i'm ready to throw it across he lab and then set it
away, it should be done by 2003?
The gold leaf looks great, but there has to be an easier way?
I'm planning to do another one with the durabond and then spray it with
dry graphite lube spray, the graphite does work well, i've done other
ones with it and i would just coat this one if i didn't have 40 hours
and $30 dollars invested in gold leaf so far.
After i spray the graphite i hit it with a light coat of polyurethane to
seal it.
The graphite toroides "DO" give a different streamer appearance to me,
(slightly thinner, much more branching, more simultaneous streamers) but
not bad, just different? My original plan was to coat one of these with
graphite, then set my copper plating tank up so i could fit the whole
thing in and plate the whole toroid with copper plating.
I haven't gotten that far yet, some day.
well this is one mans attempt, not hard to do (except for the gold leaf)
I'll get a pic of it on:
http://www.fortunecity-dot-com/meltingpot/syria/1210/index.htm
Follow the site map to "things i've done", I'll stick it there.
Take care,
Marc M.