Re: flexible aluminum... ugh

Original poster: "Gregory Hunter by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <ghunter31014-at-yahoo-dot-com>

Hi Mike,

You can't avoid wrinkles in Aluminum tape, and you'll
make yourself neurotic trying to prevent them.
However, you can mitigate them after the fact. Use
something hard, smooth, and rounded--the back of a big
spoon works well, and I've had good results using a
light bulb. Anyhow, use the smooth, rounded object to
rub the the heck out of the toroid. Be agressive and
rub long & hard. Keep it up until your arms are tired.
Eventually, the tape will smooth out nicely. If you
are persistant, the tape covering will take on an
almost chrome like finish.

Of course, the key to a smooth covering is a smooth
foundation. If the toroid form is bumpy, the tape will
show every bump. If (like me) you can't afford a spun
Aluminum toroid, I suggest a toroidal swimming pool
toy covered with paper mache'. I've only made one
toroid in this manner, but it turned out great. With a
bit of care, the paper mache' can turn out pretty
smooth, yielding a nice-looking finished product.

Regards,

Greg
http://hot-streamer-dot-com/greg