Re: transformer theory q

Original poster: "D&M's High Voltage by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <DMsHV.DavMcKin-at-verizon-dot-net>

Peter,

> Original poster: "Peter Lawrence by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Peter.Lawrence-at-Sun-dot-com>

> I still have not heard a clear answer to part 2, what happens (to the
primary
> current) when there are more than the recommended primary turns (take +10%
> as an example).

Your primary current will decrease almost linearly depending where the
original
design was on the magnetization curve.

> I am thinking of trying many taps on a test primary and finding the one
that
> minimizes the primary current (in the unloaded secondary condition), does
this
> make sense? If I do this what happens when I put the shunts back in (or
some
> fraction of the shunts), or should I do the experiment with the shunts?

Putting the shunts in will make no noticable difference due to the fact that
the
shunts will not change the overall core area.  By formula, changing the
overall
core area (assuming voltage, frequency, and primary turns remain constant)
will either increase or decrease your primary exciting current (by changing
the
flux density, and thus, the exciting VA per pound of the steel).  The shunts
will
only affect (limit) the loaded secondary current.

> thanks,
> Peter Lawrence.

David L. McKinnon
D&M's High Voltage