Re: Funky Topload Ideas

Hi Chris,

On 20 Nov 2001, at 11:35, Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Christopher Boden by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <chrisboden-at-hotmail-dot-com>

> The removal of the old washer and dryer from the GeekHouse basement required
> the creative application of a SawzAll. We learned quickly that the rotating
> drum in the dryer really wants to be the hub of a topload for our large
> coil. I was wondering if anyone else had ever tried this. It's a nice smooth
> barrel, lightweight and solid.
>
> The topload for our 6" setup is actually suspended by construction twine
> from the ceiling. we've had great success with this for several months and
> the idea of hanging a topload is a good thing for us. It allows us to vary
> the height and makes the coil more stable since the topload isn't balanced
> on top. I'm wondering how many others have done this, and to what extent.
> The idea of using a small car (preferably not Geek-3) as a topload suspended
> by rope over a large coil would make an interesting finalle for the winter
> Teslathon. any thoughts on this?

Remove the petrol tank and carburettor etc. first :)  The capacitance
will be substantial - you'll need a lot of primary energy (likes 10's
and 10's if not hundreds of Joules) to generate useful output
voltages. I would not want to get a shock from a topload this size.

Regards,
malcolm