Re: Magnet wire

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "G by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
<bog-at-cinci.rr-dot-com>

> Hi Frank,
>
> Just a helpful warning- the 10 lb 28 gauge wire I bought from them
> doesn't have the best insulation. It was the wire that was giving me
> interturn failures. But, for 85% or so off the retail price, I can
> afford to spacewind the problem areas!
> Call on the telephone, they are very helpful.
>
> good luck,
> Gregory

	The worry about the integrity of the insulation is an important one.  I
have a lot of wire in stock here, including both old-fashioned enamel
and formvar insulated.  I pulled a 30+ year old spool of #24 formvar off
the shelf a while back and was starting to wind a coil with it when I
noticed the formvar was actually stripping off, leaving bright clean
copper underneath.  Thought that maybe that effect was just on the
outside of the spool where the wire had been exposed to air, but found
that it was the sum through the whole roll.  Apparently the stuff had
gotten brittle with age and cracked off whenever the wire was bent on a
relatively small (3" in this case" radius.

	Moral is that if you can see the wire, take a piece and really check
the insulation before buying.

Ed