Re: Coil costs $0.00? and $,$$$,$$$+++?

Original poster: "David Sharpe by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <sccr4us-at-erols-dot-com>

Terry
This thread got the gray material moving...

Attached is cost breakout (August 1997) for a 1kVA magnifier
that a co-workers son and I built for a High School Physics project.
11kVA radar transformer, HDPE flat plate caps in Tesla Equidrive
configuration, 6 point biphase super-series rotary.  Max spark length
observed was ~40-46" caught on still photograph.  Gap needs to be
rebuilt using brass and carbon steel electrodes versus stainless
steel (learned alot since those days...  :^(   ).  The student who
helped me build this is now a MS in physics, and works with
me (in another R&D work group) so is now a colleague.   We are
in early design stages of a high power VTTC using 4 304TL's in
push-pull parallel.  Total out of pocket cost was <$500, but if
you include market cost for fiberglass components, nylon hardware,
wire, etc.etc cost would probably be closer to $650-700.

OBTW, the flat plate, oil immersed HDPE caps have worked fine at up to
1.5kVA input, and have never exhibited corona or other leakage
problems.  If 11kV drops to ~10kV under load, each cap in equidrive
is seeing about 5kV.  Also notice that capacitors are (were) the single
most expensive component in the coil (~45% of total cost).

Regards
Dave Sharpe, TCBOR
Chesterfield, VA. USA

--Dave's file attachment was destroyed as are all file atttachemnts sent to
the Tesla list.  I'll try to get him to send it to hot-stremer-dot-com...  - Terry