Re: Secondary preparation and capping

Original poster: "Gregory Hunter by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <ghunter31014-at-yahoo-dot-com>

Hi Patrick,

No, you don't need to sand out every little defect.

I "prepare" PVC pipe forms by dunking them in a tub of
hot water with plenty of dish soap. I scrub off every
bit of dirt and print with an abrasive pad. I wash the
inside of the pipe too. After air drying over night, I
wind the wire on. I coat the finished winding with a
few coats of clear gloss polyurethane. I turn the pipe
on my winding jig as I coat it to achieve a glassy
smooth finish.

Lowe's and Home Depot sell thin plastic knock out
plugs or "test plugs" for PVC pipe. They plug the ends
of standard PVC pipe perfectly and cost less than a
buck each. I usually glue them in place with clear
silicone cement.

I've yet to have a secondary fail in service.

Regards,

Greg
http://hot-streamer-dot-com/greg