Re: Triggered Spark Gap

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Mddeming-at-aol-dot-com>

In a message dated 11/16/01 1:14:07 AM Eastern Standard Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

> Matt,
>
> Using a Geiger-Mueller detector, I have not been able to find any
> measureableradiation output even with the tube located three inches beyond
> the
> maxstreamer length with output ~ 380 kV, nor from the spark gap at a distance
> of 4inches. (-at-15KV rms.)
>
> Is a Geiger-Mueller detector capable of detecting X-irradiation?
>
> RWW

RWW,
Not directly, but I thought ionization particles caused by the X-rays might be
detectable. On reflection, the order of magnitude at TC outputs may be far to
small for this to be a useful test. I will have to repeat the tests using
photographic film between two sheets of cardboard as a detector. This would
definitely be sensitive to any significant Xrays. Then, adding various layers
of Al foil to the package would give a semi-quantitative of relative strength.
Thanks for jarring the gray matter.
Matt D.