Oscilloscope question

Original poster: "Darin Willson by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <darin.willson-at-voyager-dot-net>

I have a 3kv 40ma inverter for a neon sign licence
plate. I would like to use it to make a VERY
small coil. I need to find out the frequency
of its output but dont have access to an
oscilloscope. I've tried to make a Cockroft-Walton
voltage multiplier to make a DC coil but it
appears that this wont work. Every time I
discharge the circuit it makes the inverter
stop working and I have to disconnect the
power and reconnect it. Any info as to why
this happens would be great and I wont have
to try to figure out what Im going to ask next.

I have found an oscilloscope program that uses
a PC's sound card mic input for the signal input.
Does anyone know how I could safely test
the inverter using this? Im not to crazy about
puting 3kv into my pc, but if there is some
simple circuit I could put between the two
to effectivly step down the output with out
altering the signal that would be awsome.

Thanks,
Darin